Hard Times for Salmon Fishers

This article shows the effect of what unsuistainable fishing and environmental treatment does to an entire ecosystem of fish and how that effects the people that fish them. The salmons migrating to california are having a difficult time due to droughts, dams, and water temperature and the industry of salmon fishing in San Francsisco is struggling greatly with this loss. Many families rely on salmon fishing to feed themselves and run businesses and they are starting to notice the steady decline of salmon in the past few years alarming them to the affects of global warming and humans intrusion on this species.

This article is related to environmental science because it dicusses the environmental impacts we have been seeing in the past few years and the effects we are having on creatures in the environment and their ecosystems. I have a pretty strong reaction to this article, mostly because this Summer I was up in Seattle working on a photography course and we had a speaker come in and spend all day discussing her work in photographing Alaskian Salmon and teaching us about the lifetime of a salmon and global warmings affects on them. (Her name is Amy Gulick and she wrote the book Salmon in the Trees: Life in Alaska’s Tongass Rain Forest)

Norman, Nicole, and Rachel Ramirez. “California’s Salmon Fishers Warn of ‘hard Times Coming’ as They Face Canceled Season.” CNN, Cable News Network, 2 Apr. 2023, www.cnn.com/2023/04/02/us/salmon-fishing-ban-california-climate/index.html. 

3 thoughts on “Hard Times for Salmon Fishers

1. Kasey- I’m at least glad you found an article that resonates with you so much, considering what must have been a really cool experience this summer. Of course I too am sympathetic to the salmon, and all that surrounds them. Unfortunately since this article was released, as you may know, they have cancelled the salmon fishing season in CA. This is a big deal for so many people, but probably best for salmon recovery. Did the article say anything about what was being done to improve the salmon populations?

Good abstract and follow up!

• I agree with you that harmful fishing and environmental changes affect salmon and the people who rely on them. What measures do you think governments should take to balance economic issues?

• Hi, Mr. Powell thank you for your feedback and comment the article really only talks about future plans and hopes for salmon populations not really specific plans. I honestly think it really is for the best that the salmon fishing season has been canceled.