USDA invests $7.4 million in 25 urban agriculture and innovation production efforts

USDA. (2023, July 18). USDA invests $7.4 million in 25 urban agriculture and innovative production efforts. https://www.usda.gov/media/press-releases/2023/07/18/usda-invests-74-million-25-urban-agriculture-and-innovative

Competitive grants, now totaling more than 7 million dollars are being used to fund and encourage urban agricultural development. With an emphasis on funding only the most successful applicants, community gardens, producers, and other non-profits have been among a select few to receive support from the USDA. Some explicit goals are to assist in food equity, education, and the general support of urban agriculture and forestry. Long-term business ideas are being developed, showing a hopeful future of urban agriculture.

The US has been very accustomed to large agricultural plots, that still make up the vast majority of what most consume. I wonder what the total carbon footprint would look like of a larger-scale urban agricultural area, or if the goal is to have many smaller community-driven gardens. There are multiple benefits that are both cost-effective and serving to the community. I’m interested to see how this can grow in popularity and potentially reduce carbon emissions from heat islands as well.

3 thoughts on “USDA invests $7.4 million in 25 urban agriculture and innovation production efforts

1. This is a great idea, to have more “green” buildings that help offset their own negative effects. I also wonder if there have been any test areas that have already implemented completely green urban areas. Will this be as effective as people think? If it is, I think we should put more funding into urban agricultural areas and make it more of a norm.

2. Another adaptation our society could make is to implement more vertical farms, as many cities in the UK have begun to do; optimising growth and space while still supplying the food necessary to feed our population.

3. Fascinating article. I have the same question as you. This affects the US, especially as of late. It’s also shocking how much was invested.