“Gigantic” power of meat industry blocking green alternatives, study finds

Carrington, D., & editor, D. C. E. (2023, August 18). “Gigantic” power of meat industry blocking green alternatives, study finds. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/aug/18/gigantic-power-of-meat-industry-blocking-green-alternatives-study-finds

The meat and dairy industries have a major influence, leading to stunted growth of eco-friendly alternatives, according to a study. Livestock farmers receive far more public funding nearly 800 times more thanks to lobbying efforts and regulations that favor traditional meat. Notably despite the major environmental impact of meat production guidelines oddly ignore this issue. The research calls for policy changes that fairly take into account the environmental impact of meat, as well as more money being put into all the better environmental but largely ignored parts of the meat industry. 

This article is about how influential the meat industry is within the government. It relates to environmental science as it shows a problem that not only is an issue for the fight against climate change but also an issue within our government. The amount of money that flows through the meat industry is playing a major role in preventing change from coming that could potentially help fight climate change. If nothing changes within the laws and regulations set the amount of work it takes to fight climate change is significantly more. This article made me upset. To hear how much more public funding is going into an industry that is the single largest contributor to climate change makes no sense to me. The fact that public funding for the meat industry is 800 times greater than plant-based meat or cultivated meat groups is outrageous.

4 thoughts on ““Gigantic” power of meat industry blocking green alternatives, study finds

1. I’m sad to hear how upset you are Andrew by the meat industry situation. Although I do love steak, it does not need to be massively produced and funded as there are many other options for the diet. The meat industry corporations should use their profits to continue their businesses. It does not make sense to fund something that already has plenty of funding.

2. This is a very eye-opening article. More people should pay attention to the crazy things that are happening not only environmentally-wise but also in our own government. I wonder what could be done to make the government see that this is not ok?

3. Wow thank you for sharing this article! I never realized how impactful the relationship with government funding on the meat industry had with climate change. While the amount of public funding is insane, it gives me hope that it can be something that can be changed through voting. Do you know if that is possible at all?

4. Thank you all for reading. I would definitely say that this issue should be put into the ballots in some way but I’m not exactly sure what else we as citizens can do other than complain till politicians listen.