Ocean Cleanup Group

The Ocean Cleanup group is a non-profit whose goal is to clean up the ocean and get rid of the toxins that harm sealife, and sometimes humans. The great Pacific Garbage Patch is the largest of the world’s five garbage patches. The Ocean Cleanup Group developed a new system to be able to clear a football field of trash every five seconds. The group’s aim is to remove 90% of floating plastic from the oceans by 2040.

This article was interesting to me because it opened my eyes to other forms of environmental restoration. I had only ever researched on land restoration of national parks and ecosystems on the land. However, the ocean is also a place that needs to be cleaned up. There are so much pollutants and trash in the ocean that are negatively affecting wildlife, and the seafood that humans eat. 

4 thoughts on “Ocean Cleanup Group

1. I also did not know about the ocean clean-ups. The ocean wildlife is essential for the ocean and the environment. The oceans also makes up so much of this planet it needs to be preserved and restored. How could people make ocean clean-ups more accessible for volunteers?

2. I agree with the fact that the ocean is often times overlooked due to the fact that we don’t spend much time in it but it can become a place where a lot of waste/trash is held and can be very dangerous for the organisms with which it comes in contact with.Is moving from things like reusable bags from the highly used plastic ways the only way we can change this or can we do more?