How Does Climate Change Impact California Ocean Temperatures?

Cal Poly News. (2023, August 9). How Does Climate Change Impact California Ocean Temperatures? Retrieved from https://www.calpoly.edu/news/how-does-climate-change-impact-california-ocean-temperatures-cal-poly-study-investigates

A team at Cal Poly explored how climate change impacts ocean temperatures off California’s central coast. This research underscores the significance of understanding climate-ocean interactions and their ecological consequences. They found that certain environmental conditions such as the lack of upwelling leads to an enhanced risk for extreme marine heat waves and cold spells, subsequently making El Nino much more frequent and intense. As the articles details, through these El Nino events, both water and atmospheric temperatures rise rapidly, servelry damaging immediate surrounding ecosystems. The warmer water temperatures stress marine life and make them more vulnerable to disease. Through data analysis, the Cal Poly researchers discovered that they are able to predict these extreme heat and cold spells by tracking both climate change models and upwelling.

This article similarly points to the economic impact of climate change on California. As the gradual, slow process of climate change commonly appears throughout the news today, this article shed light on the extreme side of climate change. I was surprised by the close correlation between ocean dynamics and extreme weather patterns throughout California. The study’s findings emphasize the urgency of addressing climate change, leaving me with a heightened awareness of the relationship between human activity, ocean patterns and weather fronts.

6 thoughts on “How Does Climate Change Impact California Ocean Temperatures?

1. I agree with you at the same what the article you researched sounds very interesting and I want to know more about it what is it about but with many weather pattern patterns it can really change everything in California. What are the specific weather patterns are happening in California?

2. Climate change has greatly effected our oceans. Especially in California due to climate change the natural cycle with El Nino has been held on pause an occurrence that would happen every other year hasn’t happened in a long while. This is due to how climate change has affect the ocean. I agree that what humans do has a great impact on the wellbeing of the ocean.

3. Very interesting read. With the increased frequency of El Nino what do you think are the best ways to stop this increase in frequency and is there a way to actually revert El Nino to its old frequency.

4. Great question. I would say a great first step would be making reductions in greenhouse gas emissions and promoting efforts to limit global warming. This can indirectly help reduce the severity and frequency of El Niño events.