Better bus systems could slow climate change

Pierre-Louis, K. (2023, May 1). Better bus systems could slow climate change. Scientific

American. Retrieved August 23 2023, from https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/better-bus-systems-could-slow-climate-change/

As cities are growing, so is the amount of traffic, which only adds an increase in greenhouse emissions. But one of the most overlooked solutions for this is the bus to decarbonize the US. Biden has pledged “to reduce emissions by 50 to 52 percent by 2030,” but as of right now they won’t be able to reach that goal solely by electrifying cars, but it would help to decrease the amount of drivers overall. But people don’t use buses because they are more unreliable because of traffic, sometimes they are full, and some people just don’t have access to mass transit at all. The transit system in the US is also poor because it is looked at as a government relief for disadvantaged people. Overall, it would be buses to become a more used masstransit. 

The bus system is heavily overlooked, and, not only is it better for people overall, it is a great solution for the environment. This article explained to me a lot of different aspects of buses: the environmental impact, people’s view of a transport system, and how it would help people socially. It makes me wonder how they can be more heavily implemented in our society, and what would be the best, and most effective way to make more people ride them.

2 thoughts on “Better bus systems could slow climate change

1. I agree that the bus system is heavily overlooked. As someone who rides the bus daily, I definitely feel that there is a stigma related to public transit and most people prefer to drive in their own cars, however, buses could make a great impact on the environment as they transport many people, reducing overall carbon emissions. How do you think we could incentivize more people to take public transit?

• I love how you bring your own personal expereinces to share, thank you! I think that it is a big problem as well, and one thing I think that we could incentivize more people to take public transit is offer it to be free and advertise it more.