National Coral Reef Monitoring Program Sampling in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Edwards, K. (2023, August 24). National Coral Reef Monitoring Program Sampling in the U.S. Virgin Islands. National Centers For Coastal Ocean Science. Retrieved January 20, 2024, from https://coastalscience.noaa.gov/news/coral-reef-monitoring-program-usvi/

NOAA scientists have conducted a survey of coral reef communities on hard bottom habitats in the U.S. Virgin Islands, as part of the Coral Reef Conservation Program’s National Coral Reef Monitoring Program (NCRMP). The National Park Service, University of the Virgin Islands, and the Department of Natural Resources-Virgin Islands collaborated to conduct this survey. Nearly 40 divers used seven boats to sample a minimum of 250 sites around St. John and St. Thomas, recording the abundance and the size for different fish and coral species. Water samples were collected to support the Climate Team pillar of NCRMP. ArcGIS Field Maps is an online platform that was used to enhance mission efficiency in sampling, communication, and progress tracking. 

This article is related to environmental science because this research and exploration is vital to the health and biodiversity underwater. These surveys and experiments provide important data for coral reef conservation. Not only this, but it informs fish stock assessments, management decisions, and coral disease mitigation in the Caribbean. Without this information, we would not be able to fully assess and help underwater creatures and ecosystems. With climate change and higher amounts of tourists, reefs all over are in danger of destruction. I think that doing these checks are vital. It makes me happy because we can preserve biodiversity underwater, which is so important for the survival of so many different critters and organisms. 

2 thoughts on “National Coral Reef Monitoring Program Sampling in the U.S. Virgin Islands

1. This excerpt makes me relieved as well knowing that people are observing biodiversity and making sure our climate change is still not completely destroying important biodiversity. I wonder how we could better protect these coral reefs from climate change and damage from things like tourists. Do you have any suggestions for better protecting coral reefs and underwater biodiversity?

• Thank you for reading my abstract! I think that the government needs to take initiative and create regulations and rules when it comes to coral reefs, along with more plans to help with the restoration.