New Jersey Offshore Wind Project

Parry, W. (2023, November 17). Despite loss of 2 major projects, New Jersey is moving forward with its offshore wind power goals. Retrieved January 25, 2024, from AP News website: https://apnews.com/article/offshore-wind-new-jersey-transmission-projects-e4761f9bfdb8a422b1c4321ee7798a61 

New Jersey had its two largest ocean wind power projects canceled. The developer, Orsted, blamed issues with supply and inflation. But nevertheless, New Jersey voted to start fundraising for a huge grid for power generated by offshore wind farms. New Jersey has a strong interest to lead the East Coast in ocean wind turbine construction, so building a large power grid would allow them to also build a number of farms. 

I believe New Jersey is making a great economic and environmental decision. Not only are they lowering their carbon emissions by focusing on wind power, but they are also preparing themselves for the future of power. By leading the East Coast to offshore wind power, New Jersey will be the frontrunner in renewable energy and won’t have to rely on other states for oil or coal power. They also aren’t taking up any space with wind farms and angering their citizens because the turbines are in the ocean. This is will be a great decision for New Jersey in the long run.

3 thoughts on “New Jersey Offshore Wind Project

1. I agree that this is a great thing New Jersey is doing. It is super important that states start to migrate away from nonrenewable sources of energy. How do you think other states can follow in New Jersey’s footsteps and make improvements in the amount of nonrenewable energy sources other states use?

2. This article is very interesting; I agree that pursuing renewable energy on the East Coast is very beneficial. I wonder which other states could join and try ocean wind power?

3. I thought this article was very fascinating. I really like the way New Jersey is getting ahead of other states with what they are doing and are being much more independent. Do you think that other states that are capable are going to start following in their footsteps by having turbines in the ocean?