Ocean Acidification 5

Gromal , H. (2023, October 17). Ocean acidification indicators for the global surface ocean. CISESS. https://cisess.umd.edu/ocean-acidification-indicators-for-the-global-surface-ocean/ 

The article highlights a groundbreaking study on ocean acidification (OA) indicators in the global surface ocean, spanning from 1750 to 2100. Using a “model-data fusion product” based on Earth System Models and observational data, the study explores ten OA indicators, offering climatologies and atlases as a baseline for future assessments. The research aids OA studies at regional and global scales, providing important information for mitigation and adaptation efforts in sectors such as fisheries, aquaculture, tourism, and marine resources. The study contributes significantly to understanding OA’s evolution and guiding strategies for addressing its impact. 

This article reveals a breakthrough that not only contributes to the fight against ocean acidification but also contributes to Environmental science as a whole. I found it extremely interesting to learn about the various models and data types that are formed to express the issues with the ocean. Furthermore, the promising impact of these new indicators is enlightening to see. 

2 thoughts on “Ocean Acidification 5

1. I agree that we definitely need to focus on understanding the evolution of ocean acidification and addressing its impact. How do you think plastic pollution relates to ocean acidification?

2. I find it interesting that we are testing the oceans acidification and understanding it better. What are we doing to reduce the acidification? I know switching to clean energy and reducing our emissions helps but are there any other ways?