Airlines race towards a future of powering their jets with corn

Bearak, Max, et al. “Airlines Race toward a Future of Powering Their Jets with Corn.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 30 Nov. 2023, www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/11/30/climate/airlines-jet-fuel-ethanol-corn.html?smid=url-share. Accessed 27 Jan. 2024.

Airlines and the government are pushing for more ethanol-based fuel for air travel. This push is causing problems with aquifers and groundwater needed. Ethanol is usually made of corn, a water-intensive crop. Farmers are having to dig into underground aquifers to water their crops so they can keep up with demand. If a solution to the problem is not found soon, farmers could quickly run out of water, stopping the production of corn. 

I believe that the movement by the government and airlines towards ethanol-based fuels is a step in the right direction. It has been proven that ethanol-based jet fuels emit 15% less carbon dioxide when burned than regular jet fuel. However, the amount of carbon dioxide released in the making of ethanol jet fuel essentially negates the benefits. Also, the production of the resources needed to make ethanol is labor-intensive and uses tons of water that should be conserved. Overall, I think that we should be looking to find another way to produce a Sustainable Aviation Fuel with a smaller carbon footprint.

2 thoughts on “Airlines race towards a future of powering their jets with corn

1. You know with a title like this I couldn’t resist. Corn strikes again! The return on energy investment in corn is terrible. Did the article mention any other countries looking at ethanols from things besides corn? I agree with your commentary on this… the last thing we need in the US is people growing even more corn.

I hope this topic kept you engaged this year, Will. I think it’s perfect that someone in pilot school could have this as their topic. Thanks for your good reporting… and meeting the deadline for this batch of articles.

2. I agree with your statement that biofuels basically negate the benefits. I really don’t think the push for corn as something to use in fuel will really benefit the earth long term. Do you think that the labor-intensive part could be slimmed down to have biofuels be better for the environment?