Wave energy off the coast of California

Cart, J. (2023, November 29). Will ocean waves be California’s new source of clean energy?

Retrieved January 26, 2024 from, 

https://calmatters.org/environment/2023/11/ocean-energy-waves-california/

In October, California Governor Gavin Newsom signed a bill allowing for the state to begin the production and greater research of marine energy systems, in essence, the state will be using the waves and tides of the ocean to generate energy. The project still has a long way to go, projected to contribute to the state’s “all-renewable electric grid by 2045.” Right now there are only a few scattered small-scale test sites for this technology throughout the west coast. However, according to the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, “wave and tide energy resources that are available in the U.S. with current technology are equivalent to 57% of 2019’s domestic energy production.” Ultimately the technology is shining a positive light on renewable energy sources.

The state of California’s push to achieve new forms of renewable energy seems like a great stride to move away from fossil fuels and help mitigate the effects of climate change. Although the project is just getting started, granted that waves are concurring throughout the coast, I can see marine technology becoming one of the biggest energy suppliers along both the east and west coast of the United States. I really like how, unlike wind energy, this form of energy can be applicable throughout most parts of the world given the ocean covers the majority of the globe. ​​However, I wish the government would fund it more as the “2023 federal budget for ocean waves energy is $123 million.” Ultimately I think that relying on marine power is a great way to shift away from fossil fuels.

One thought on “Wave energy off the coast of California

1. Of course right now we are studying alternative energy in APES. Wave energy is one project that won’t be in our symposium. You are right when you say that this is a wide spread energy, which at a glance, seems like it could be tapped. Why do you think it hasn’t yet? Can you imagine any negative env. impacts that go with it? I wonder why it isn’t more wide spread considering there is clearly a lot of energy in the ocean.

I hope following your topic kept you interested, Kamron. Thanks for all the good reporting and thoughtful commentary.