Data Show Clean Power Increasing, Fossil Fuel Decreasing In California

CA.Gov. (2023, August 18). Data Show Clean Power Increasing, Fossil Fuel Decreasing In California. Retrieved Jan 27th, 2024, from https://www.energy.ca.gov/news/2023-08/data-show-clean-power-increasing-fossil-fuel-decreasing-california

California is making progress in the transition to reducing fossil fuels and switching to clean power. Wind energy has grown by 63%, and Solar generation has increased a lot, (46,341 (GWh)) to be exact. Natural Gas generation has decreased by 20%. California aims to achieve 100% clean electricity by 2045 and has established interim targets to ensure progress. Despite droughts and heat waves, California continues to make progress in its transition.

This article highlights California’s effort to transition to clean energy and reduce fossil fuels. It covers solar and wind energy as alternatives and covers the decline in coal and natural gas production. These topics are all what environmental science is about. I found this article very helpful in understanding more about my state’s progress in its transition. And I found the numbers of our transition very surprising. I think we are on the right path.

3 thoughts on “Data Show Clean Power Increasing, Fossil Fuel Decreasing In California

1. This is amazing news! It’s so great that wind energy has grown so much recently, and California is a great example of states using renewable energy. How does this switch to renewable energy affect our relationships with other countries that import fossil fuels to us?

2. That’s honestly relieving to hear that California has made a large effort and huge improvement in transitioning to clean power. I can’t believe that just in 20 years, they’re hoping to have 100% clean electricity. How are droughts and heat waves affecting this transition?

3. I am very glad to hear that California is taking this massive step forward but it is still hard for me to believe that we could have 100% clean electricity in just over 20 years. What possible drawbacks could be possible to cause this to be delayed more and what new energy sources will be the most common in 20 years?