6 Ways the Fashion Industry Can Become More Sustainable

Chan, Emily (2023, December 29). 6 Ways the Fashion Industry Can Become More Sustainable. Vogue. https://www.vogue.com/article/6-ways-the-fashion-industry-can-become-more-sustainable

This article covers six ways fashion can become more sustainable. The first method mentioned is legislation, which is seen in the EU’s ecodesign legislation that was recently passed. The second is stopping overproduction, which the author cites on-demand production as an alternative. The third is making dyes more eco-friendly, such as using bacterial dyes or dyes made from pollution. The fourth is using organic materials as fabric, such as seaweed. The fifth is making hybrid fabrics out of multiple materials to help recycle clothing, such as cotton and polyester blends. The sixth is paying clothing workers better as on demand models can put stress on workers and may lead them to quit.

I quite enjoy this article’s quick to the point method of showing methods to help the fashion industry be more sustainable. The provided solutions also seem quite nice, especially since the traditional sustainable fashion methods seem to be pretty played out. I think this will help anyone in the fashion industry or anyone involved in fashion get rid of the dooming state of mind that can come while looking at climate change, and have us all realize in fashion that there is a solution to help improve our climate.

2 thoughts on “6 Ways the Fashion Industry Can Become More Sustainable

1. I agree, not only that fashion needs to become more sustainable, but also how the article’s solutions are quickly provided. What I’m wondering is how some of the solutions like seaweed will be implemented. I couldn’t really imagine anyone wearing a seaweed jacket or any other article of clothing- unless it’s “high fashion” (where they tend to wear strange things). I’m wondering which of these solutions you think would be the most effective, obviously taking into account that more than one would realistically be used.

2. It was really interesting reading different ways that the fashion industry could become sustainable. I think if more people knew about this, they would support brands that take global warming into account rather than ignore the issue and make it worse. What “way” would be most beneficial to society?