Climate Change Has Sent Texas Homeowner Insurance Rates Skyrocketing – AC

This article is a news article from the Texas tribune discussing the effects that climate change has on the economy. Specifically, the article discusses how climate change has a direct effect on the “skyrocketing“ homeowner insurance rates this year. Combined with inflation, the article discusses how homeowners are being put up against the wall financially given the rising insurance and construction costs. This is widely because Texas is very prone to natural disasters, including hurricanes and powerful storms. Texas emits the most greenhouse gasses of any state, even to the point where it emits twice as much as the second leading state (California). The article finally discussed the TWIA, which works as a reserve fund to provide financial assistance to Texas homeowners that live on the coast in the event of natural disasters.

I thought this article was really interesting. Especially the fact that I am already aware that insurance costs are going through the roof in California, the second leading greenhouse gas emitter. I believe that this article provides very good insight into Texas’s lack of action when it comes to tackling climate change and limiting their insanely high greenhouse gas emissions. I think that Texas as a state needs to take a more active approach rather than their current passive approach. This would mean tackling the core of the problem being their emissions. In the event that they were able to actually tackle climate change, and limit these common natural disasters, they would not have to create such a big reserve, taking hundreds of millions of dollars from insurance companies to aid these coastal communities especially.

One thought on “Climate Change Has Sent Texas Homeowner Insurance Rates Skyrocketing – AC

1. I totally agree with your assessment of climate change’s impact on Texas homeowner insurance prices. It is upsetting to see the financial strain placed on homeowners as natural disasters become more frequent and severe, worsened by climate change. I’m curious if you have any proposals for changes to legislation or initiatives that Texas may implement to address these concerns?