Adopt- a- Topic: Invasive Species & Mgt Gabriel Heiss

Regan, H. (2023, September 5).  Invasive species cost the world $423 billion every year and are causing environmental chaos, UN report finds. Retrieved January 27, 2024, from https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/05/world/invasive-species-global-threat-report-climate-scn-intl-hnk/index.html 

Every year $432 Billion is spent because of invasive species, as well as 200 new invasive species are introduced every year. Preventing damage caused by invasive species has been very costly and has quadrupled every decade. Even if so much money is being spent, it’s used for a good cause. The $432 Billion has protected the extinction of crops and animals, as well as food security. So without efforts, it’s safe to say that the dangers of invasive species would set back our economy as well as our society. Currently, 37,000 invasive species are known, and out of all those species 3500 stand out as being a  “Severe global threat.” These 3500 species can potentially disrupt agriculture on a global scale by destroying native crops, polluting waterways, and spreading disease. Scientists and researchers believe that the invasive species threat is worsening alongside climate change. So just like with climate change governments are taking action against invasive species and making sure biodiversity is not at threat by invasive species. 

I found it impressive how much money is spent on invasive species, but I believe it’s for the better good, and benefits our economy and society. Globally I hope we continue addressing invasive species and striving in research and development that can help aid our ecosystems and prevent crop loss and biodiversity loss by invasive species. This article gave interesting statistics about invasive species, and ultimately addressed their devastating impacts It talked about how biodiversity is put in danger by the introduction of new invasive species, as well as how our billion-dollar efforts have helped mitigate climate change. The article made sure to address how scientists are working to address the threat of invasive species by developing solutions and policies to help eradicate and detect invasive species.

2 thoughts on “Adopt- a- Topic: Invasive Species & Mgt Gabriel Heiss

1. I agree that the money and efforts toward invasive species are for the greater good but I wonder how we can prevent these species instead of just dealing with them after they’ve been introduced

2. $432 Billion is an extremely large amount of money, but I agree that it has to be done. And a good amount of them are considered to be extremely harmful. I find it very interesting how just a single species can cause so much damage in an area that they are not supposed to be in. I do not understand how it costs so much money. Is there any way to better protect our crops and forests from harmful species and potentially save money?