Salton Sea restoration projects get $72 million boost from feds, a historic first.

Rode, E. ( 2023, december 7). Salton Sea restoration projects get $72 million boost from feds, a historic first. Retrieved January 22, 2024, from https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/environment/2023/12/07/salton-sea-restoration-projects-federal-funding/71818181007/ 

In early december the Desert Sun publication, wrote this article summarizing the Salton Seas new restoration project. The Salton Sea located in southern california, has been longing for restoration for years. Finally the Biden-Haris administration has provided money to back the project. $250 million dollars goes toward restoration with $72 coming from the Inflation Reduction Act. The project hopes to restore shallow and deep water lost to the receding shoreline, and improve salinity.  The funding from the federal government will expedite the 10 year plan to restore 30,000 acres to the habitat.

This article highlights the importance of federal funding in efforts to restore habitats. With the starters complex laws and regulations it can be difficult to find funding for big projects like these. It is reassuring to know that the federal government cares about the future of our state and wants to help. 

2 thoughts on “Salton Sea restoration projects get $72 million boost from feds, a historic first.

1. Hey Sofia, this is some exciting news! I’m glad to hear that Biden and Harris are backing such a large and urgent project! I am curious as to how the Salton Sea will be restored. What kinds of methods will they use to restore the habitat? I’m also curious as to what happened to the Salton Sea to begin with. What was harming the sea and its ecosystem?

2. I agree with your sentiments about the project. It is very exciting news that the Biden-Harris administration allocated $250 million to restore water lost, but with the complex laws and regulations, it will be a challenge for funding. I wonder what the is the main focus of the Salton Sea restoration project? And actually how much benefit will we gain by putting $250 million in funding into the project?