A “tropical disease” carried by sand flies is confirmed in a new country: the U.S.

A “tropical disease” carried by sand flies is confirmed in a new country: the U.S. (2023, November). NPR. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2023/11/01/1209681147/leishmaniasis-sand-flies-tropical-disease-endemic-north-america-united-states

Sand fly-transmitted Leishmaniasis is a parasitic disease caused by the Leishmania parasite. It occurs in tropical and subtropical regions of the world with between 600,000 and 1 million new infections happening worldwide every year. Recently, though, it has started growing in prevalence in areas outside of endemic regions such as the United States, where it has been reported in Texas, Florida, and Hawaii. The article from NPR discusses how the Leishmaniasis parasite is transmitted by sand flies, its symptoms and treatment, and its potential impact on public health in the United States. It also emphasizes the root cause of climate change, specifically a warming climate, and a need for prevention measures and further investigations.

Leishmania parasites, like most parasites, thrive in specific areas. Climate change has presented ideal conditions for the spread of such bacteria and parasites, as the increased temperatures and altered climates have made a wider range of environments a suitable breeding ground. The increased mobility of the human population has also allowed these outbreaks to spread to regions where they were previously not prevalent. As a result, the rise in parasitic diseases is a direct consequence of climate change, and will likely continue to increase in frequency and severity and spread further north.

3 thoughts on “A “tropical disease” carried by sand flies is confirmed in a new country: the U.S.

1. Wow, it is scary to think about how Texas, Florida, and Hawaii are already exposed to this disease. It worries me to think about just how fast it will take to reach California. Has anything been done yet to attempt to stop the spread of these parasites?

2. I completely agree with all of your points and I think your best one is how the increase in temperatures has allowed for a better living environment for bacteria. I think that this is a great point because it can show an indirect impact of climate change and one that can be very scary and problematic. Besides lowering climate change, what is one possible solution to these types of issues that involve bacteria and disease?

3. I wonder how infestations and diseases will be affected by a rising temperature. I know certain shows like the Last of Us portray a possibility where we are creating the perfect breeding ground for certain infections and viruses to thrive. And clearly shown by the article, we are making that a reality. I’m sure diseases/parasites will increasingly become an issue in the next few years, especially in countries that aren’t equipped for outbreaks.