U.S Fisheries Continue to Rebuild; Overfishing and Overfished Numbers at All-time Lows

“We Need Your Help!” U.S. Fisheries Continue to Rebuild; Overfishing and Overfished       Numbers at All-time Lows. NOAA, 15 Apr. 2015. Web. 23 Aug. 2015.

The number of fish stocks listed as overfished or overexploited are the lowest they’ve been since 1994. Six species of fish were removed from their status as overfished, and two others were removed from a critical level. Also, three species of fish caught in the United States have returned to a “fishable” level, and are repopulated enough to be re-fished. Since 2000, 37 stocks of fish have been rebuilt to that level, which shows how strong the US is doing in the race to fix the problem of overfishing. “As a result of the combined efforts of NOAA Fisheries, the regional fishery management councils, and all of our partners, the number of stocks listed as subject to overfishing or overfished continues to decline and is at an all-time low.”

This article, which comes directly from the agency in charge of quelling the effect of overfishing, provides a numerical value to show just how much our efforts on the home front are doing. Also, it describes which species in particular are doing well, which have been rebuilt, and the locations of these species. It also provides data for all species stocks in 2014, and how far they’ve come in the past decade.

One thought on “U.S Fisheries Continue to Rebuild; Overfishing and Overfished Numbers at All-time Lows

1. I love seeing the hopeful articles. So which fish are making a come back? I have to wonder how they are doing it… I know Alaska has super tight regulations. From everything I hear, the fisheries are a problem that is urgent, but one that could feasibly be solved. The problem with fish is they swim and are hard to count and may leave protected regulated areas.