Federal agencies seek repair delays at Oroville Dam

Fitchette, T. (2017, March 03). Federal agencies seek repair delays at Oroville Dam. Retrieved March 12, 2017, from http://www.westernfarmpress.com/regulatory/federal-agencies-seek-repair-delays-oroville-dam

This article is about the delays on the repairs on the Oroville Dam. This is due to the risk of harming fish further downstream in the Feather River. The author finds that the delays to be ironic and could be harmful to human life. They point to multiple times where the City of Modesto put harmful materials, sewage, chemicals in the Feather River and put no concern for the fish in the decision. It is also stated that the Dam needs immediate attention or human lives could be lost in a catastrophic failure.

I agree that the Oroville Dam needs to be fixed as soon as possible but it is still very important to take the wildlife in consideration. Due to the recent floods there could be an influx of fish in the Feather River and need to be taken care of. As for the Author’s claims that the City of Modesto has not put these fish into consideration before and that they all of a sudden do I have a few ideas. There is the possibility that they have and it is found that the fish would be fine if a certain level of toxin is added, less concentrated in the river. It is also a possibility that the larger population of fish could have changed the risk of hurting the ecosystem.

One thought on “Federal agencies seek repair delays at Oroville Dam

1. My training trip for crew is at feather lake so this was an interesting one. I agree, the safety of wildlife must be taken into consideration during the reparation of Oroville Dam. Do you think the fish population changed?