Samurai Wasps… can they be good?

Ferro, J. (2017, March 06). Stink bug killers: Scientists to release Samurai wasps. Retrieved March 11, 2017, from http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/tech/science/environment/ 2017/03/06/stink-bugs-samurai-wasps-invasive-species/98593216/

This article touches mainly on the invasive stink bug that was introduced from Asia and widespread across the United States. The stink bugs destroy crops by sticking their teeth into the crop and sucking out the juice of it; last year stink bugs destroyed 18% of Mid atlantic apple production, which cost over $37M in profit loss. As a solution to this problem, scientists are utilizing another, less harmful, invasive species, the Samurai Wasp. Samurai Wasps lay their eggs inside of stink bug eggs, which destroy the stink bug eggs. Scientists are proposing that Samurai wasps are introduced into areas where stinkbugs are prominent in order to eradicate the stink bugs and make them unable to reproduce because of the destruction of their eggs by the Samurai wasp.

I thought that this article was very interesting because it talked about using a non threatening invasive species to a threatening and destructive invasive species. It made me realize that not all invasive species are destructive and harmful and usually only the bad ones are talked about in the media or made into a big deal (understandably). This article relates to environmental science because it shows how environmental scientists are able to manipulate species in order to improve the environment without having to necessarily harm the environment, such as using massive amounts of pesticide to eradicate the stink bugs would. I would like to know what happens with the Samurai wasps and if they’re able to kill off the stink bugs, I am going to continue to follow up on this news report!