Global Fisheries Sunken Millions

This article talks about how overexploiting current fisheries is not a smart way to manage a renewable resource like fish stocks. Fisheries lost an estimated 83 billion in 2012. To make sure that overexploitation is not taking place in fisheries, the World Bank has given Morocco financing in the form of Development Policy Loans. Morroco will use this money in order to stop illegal, unreported, and unregulated fish practices that threaten fish population renewal.

This relates to the environment, in that the World Bank is helping to stop fishing practices that are not good for the environment. They are doing this by giving loans of money to Morocco, so they can better manage illegal unreported and unregulated fishing practices that can harm the environment. These can harm the environment through the depletion of essential fish to an ecosystem, which can cause a collapse in the food chain. This can mean not only do these fish go extinct, but plenty other creatures will go extinct. 

“Global Fisheries’ Sunken Billions.” World Bank. The World Bank, 14 Feb. 2017. Web. 12 Mar. 2017.

5 thoughts on “Global Fisheries Sunken Millions

1. It’s a classic tragedy of the commons. With huge money losses. Of course overexploitation isn’t going to work long term. My question for you is, what do you think the World Bank wants from Morocco in return for the $$$? Was just out of environmental goodness that they lent them $83 billion? I hope this topic has kept you interested. It’s one issue that could be turned around quickly, if we can get it together as a human race.

• They probably want Morocco to be more stringent on fishing regulations. That would be my guess. It is really sad to see people breaking the law, but on some level I can relate to them.

2. The necessity for the World Bank to intervene and provide funding for Morocco before it can prevent exploitation illustrates how poverty can become an obstacle in environmental protection efforts. While Morocco was surely aware of the issue and the spiral of lowering fish populations (which would inevitably lead to long-term disaster), it was powerless until a third party presented the funds because there are more pressing and recent humanitarian issues to spend federal funds on at the moment.

• Why do you think fishers often lie about their total catches, despite the negative environmental consequences they know their actions must have? This reminds me of a typical tragedy of the commons situation.

• I believe it is so they can make ends meet. These fishers are very poor and are trying to get as much money as they can. They generally do not care about the environment. Thank you for reading my article