Slow Fish Caribbean

“Slow Fish Caribbean: A New Project to Protect the Region’s Biodiversity.” Slow Food International. N.p., 17 Feb. 2017. Web. 13 Mar. 2017.

http://www.slowfood.com/slow-fish-caribbean-new-project-protect-regions-biodiversity/

The oceans are a resource for the whole planet and one of humanities common goods, helping to protect not just biodiversity and the climate but also serving as the primary source of food for over a billion people and a source of income for millions of families around the world. But they have also been compared to a sheriff-less wild west, where the law of the strongest prevails, and are currently under serious threat. Slow Food is battling the mechanisms of a globalized food system based on the intensive exploitation of resources in the Caribbean. The project’s primary objective is the protection of marine biodiversity and the development of models for the sustainable use of food resources in protected areas.

The ocean’s resource is a classic tragedy of the common situation used by the whole world. This has caused overfishing, destroying the biodiversity, which has made it hard to use the ocean’s ecosystem services, as the food source in this case. I believe it is very important for these organizations to bring regulation into this commons. With the population continuing to grow the way it is we will need to depend on the ocean as a food source so maintain the biodiversity of the world’s oceans in necessary to sustain us.

6 thoughts on “Slow Fish Caribbean

1. So sad to see the tragedy of the commons all around us. Do you think that we, as humans, will ever crack the code on the tragedy of the commons scenario?

2. I agree with Mitch that it is incredibly sad to see the tragedy of the commons happening in the oceans. I believe that the only way to solve this problem is to establish a set of laws and a way to enforce them.

• I agree that it is very upsetting to see the tragedy of the commons happening right before our eyes, but I disagree that the only way to solve this problem is to establish a set of laws/regulations. We already have many laws that attempt to protect the biodiversity in the oceans, and yet many people ignore and disobey these laws. If regulations wont/aren’t stopping people from breaking them, what will?

3. I agree with the previous comments. It is vital to help fix this problem in order to decrease the tragedy of commons in oceans.