Tree Project Improves Biodiversity of Costa Rica’s La Sabana Park

Arias, L. “Tree Project Improves Biodiversity of Costa Rica’s La Sabana Park.” The Tico Times | Costa Rica News | Travel | Real Estate. N.p., 07 Mar. 2017. Web. 13 Mar. 2017.

http://www.ticotimes.net/2017/03/07/tree-sabana-costa-rica

La Sabana park in San Jose Costa Rica is also home to 347 species of plants, mammals, birds, insects and mollusks. This is mostly thanks to the more than 200 species of trees and plants, all native to Costa Rica, that now populate the park. The tree-replacement stage started in 2011 to improve the park’s biodiversity by planting 5,000 trees of native species and removing non-native trees. These trees are replacing eucalyptus trees, the predominant species within the park ’s 72 hectares. While eucalyptus trees thrive in tropical climates, they fail to attract native species of birds, mammals or insects.

I find it really interesting how this replacing of invasive trees can have this large of an impact. I also find it conflicting to force in biodiversity by disrupting the ecosystem and removing trees to plant native ones I feel this move could have also resulted and further destruction of biodiversity. This article was very detailed in this tree replacement plan and it’s clear that this is a very diverse region and I believe it should be closely watched.

4 thoughts on “Tree Project Improves Biodiversity of Costa Rica’s La Sabana Park

1. Yes, replacing invasive trees with native trees really can alter the ecosystem back to it’s natural state. Very interesting conclusion.

2. It is very interesting to me that people have thought to start replacing these invasive trees. However, aren’t there a lot of them?- how long will it take?

3. Whenever it comes to handling biodiversity and a habitat, one must be very careful to not disrupt it because keystone species exist in those areas, and without them, the rest of the species will follow in their destruction.