Gov. Jerry Brown Calls on California Ports to Cut Coal Exports

Gov. Jerry Brown Calls on California Ports to Cut Coal Exports.” Press Telegram. N.p., 27 Nov. 2016. Web. 12 Mar. 2017.

California Governor, Jerry Brown, has asked for a reduction in the export of coal from California ports. He recently signed a bill that prevents the construction of new terminals for the export of coal in the state. His request has already shown reduction in at the Long Beach port which has exported 1.5 million metric tons of coal in 2012, where as last year it only exported 0.5 million metric tons.

The impact of the governor’s action will reduce the amount of available coal around the country. Hopefully, it will also set a precedent for other states to follow and reduce the amount of coal exporting.

4 thoughts on “Gov. Jerry Brown Calls on California Ports to Cut Coal Exports

1. I do not think stopping the export of coal will do anything. If people want to burn coal they will find coal one way or another. I think this just hurts the California economy. Selling coal is not the problem. People relying on coal for energy is.

• I completely agree with Danny, except the bigger problem here is that we can’t seem to find any energy source that is widely available and renewable that wont also cause harm to the environment. i

2. I think that this would be an effective way to decrease overall coal production. Given that California has vital trade ports, limiting international export could decrease the overall demand for coal. Do you think this is the right way to decrease coal use?

3. I think that he did a fine way of attacking the problem, as the use of cole significantly decreased from 2012 to now. Exactly what environmental benefits have this achieved so far?