How humans accidentally roll out the welcome mat for unwelcome species

NETT, S. (2019). How humans accidentally roll out the welcome mat for unwelcome species. Retrieved 13 August 2019, from https://www.pressdemocrat.com/lifestyle/9878904-181/how-non-native-species-are-disrupting

Many non-native species have been introduced to the United States, especially the Northwest Coast around the 18th century as a result of Spanish colonization. While some species, like the honey bee, have benefitted the ecosystem and humans alike, other species have driven out native plants and animals and threatened their existence. These species, known as invasive species, outcompete native species and can cause adverse effects to the ecosystem. For instance, the eucalyptus tree, introduced for lumber and as a windbreak, can increase the risk of wildfires. In 1991, the Oakland firestorm broke out, fueled by the oil in eucalyptus groves, destroying 2,800 homes and killing 25 people. The majority of invasive species have been introduced by humans and has cost California around $3 billion this year alone.

Preventing invasive species is an ongoing and complicated process. Although it is unlikely, if not impossible, to remove many of the invasive species that have dominated Californian wildlife for centuries, it is still important to mitigate their effects. This article highlights how complex, yet vital, monitoring shipments and agricultural travel is to the future of California’s native species. I believe more focus should be put into preventing new invasive species, like the fire ant, from entering and threatening California’s ecosystem. It benefits both humans and nature to promote native population growth and prevent invasive species.

4 thoughts on “How humans accidentally roll out the welcome mat for unwelcome species

1. I think you had a very well-written response to the article, which can sometimes be a tricky subject. We can’t try to remove all the invasive species, like you said, because some of them are very beneficial- the best approach would be to prevent new ones from entering. How do you think we would go about doing this? (Taking into consideration, when you enter CA, the check for invasive species is a bit of a joke, it’s just based on the honor system, at least in my experience.)

2. This very interesting, I never thought of the impact of invasive species beyond destroying local ecosystems, now I realize why invasive species are such a big issue not only to the environment but to humans alike. Are there any laws in place to deal with this issue?

3. I think you had a very interesting response to this article. I didn’t know that honey bees were an invasive species, and it is interesting to think about how invasive species can have a positive effect (although it is often the opposite). What specific methods are there for preventing the spread of invasive species?