Removing invasive shrimp could help Lake Tahoe endure climate chaos

Spillman, B. (2019). Removing invasive shrimp could help Lake Tahoe endure climate chaos. [online] Rgj.com. Available at: https://www.rgj.com/story/life/outdoors/2019/08/02/lake-tahoe-shrimp-global-warming/1890476001/ [Accessed 2 Aug. 2019].

As the annual State of the Lake report highlighted, attempts to remove an invasive shrimp species may improve the water clarity of Lake Tahoe and offset warming factors caused by humans. Introduced in the 1960s, Mysis shrimp is an invasive species to the lake that feeds on native zooplankton. This native species helps control and maintain algae and suspended particles within the lake. Experimental removal of the shrimp around the Emerald Bay region proved to result in significant improvement in water clarity. As a result, researchers are seeking a lake wide removal of the species.

This report on the impact of an invasive species on a local environment demonstrates the chain reaction nature of interfering with ecological communities, especially by introducing a non-native species. Furthermore, by highlighting a potential solution to this issue, the report emphasizes that climate change is not yet irreversible. Environmental scientists and researchers are developing practices to restore ecosystems and offset climate change factors. However, if  local communities do not take action to protect their surrounding environment, damage may become irreversible. As such, I believe that the California State government should use grants and funding to encourage local governments to protect California’s natural beauty and landscapes.

3 thoughts on “Removing invasive shrimp could help Lake Tahoe endure climate chaos

1. I agree, I think that the government should try to help restore environments. Especially in this case where climate change is also a factor.

2. I totally agree that climate change is not yet irreversible. In regards to the removal of invasive species, I also feel as if we must do our best to remove them given the damage they cause to ecosystems.

How would you go about removing an entire invasive species from an ecosystem given the challenges it provides?

3. Keep Tahoe blue! Restricting invasive species in delicate environment such as this is very important. What are their plans for the shrimp removal?