Fiber Art Exhibit Aims To Save Coral Reefs

Kukral, Julie. (2019, October 16). Fiber Art Exhibit Aims To Save Coral Reefs. Retrieved November 11, 2019, from https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/jackson_hole_daily/local/fiber-art-e xhibit-aims-to-save-coral-reefs/article_7c6a06aa-5d66-5cba-9e72-ae35f6493097.html

“Save the Reef” is an artistic initiative from the American Tapestry Alliance that aims to project the importance of coral reefs to the environment around them, as well as display the problems they face. It was originally proposed by Doris Florig, a fiber artist from Jackson Hole, Wyoming, who posted her idea on an online discussion thread through the American Tapestry Alliance. After gaining momentum, it has now come to include works from 35 international fiber artists, and will journey on a 5-year tour to spread awareness. 

Although art isn’t directly connected to coral reefs, the impact it can have is really uplifting. I was drawn to this article not only because of how a group of concerned people were working to address a problem that they saw in the world, but also because of how artwork was involved. The article didn’t comment on the potential impact that the exhibit might have, so I think I might look into that- as well as if the work will be displayed near us anytime soon, as I’d really like to see it.

2 thoughts on “Fiber Art Exhibit Aims To Save Coral Reefs

1. I think it’s great that so many people who all believed in the same cause came together to make such a big impact. Especially since they are now going on a 5-year tour to gain more support to help save the reefs.

2. Hey, thanks for reading my review! I agree, it’s nice to see people coming together to try and reach a common goal, and especially seeing promising results come from it.