Republicans in Florida Want To Revoke Ban On Coral-Damaging Sunscreens

Nigam, Aanchal. (2019, November 9). Republicans in Florida Want To Revoke Ban On Coral-Damaging Sunscreens. Retrieved November 11, 2019, from https://www.republicworl d.com/world-news/us-news/republicans-in-florida-want-to-revoke-ban-on-coral-damaging-sunscreens.html

In the city of Key West, Florida, local Republican politicians are arguing that the presented sunscreen ban, which stops the sale of sunscreens that contain oxybenzone and octinoxate. These chemicals are damaging to corals, and makes the organisms, who are already stressed by warming waters, more susceptible to coral bleaching. However, the politicians, backed up by skin care experts, claim that the chemicals in the banned sunscreens are necessary for blocking UV rays- and Florida has had dangerously increasing numbers of skin cancer cases. The mayor of Key West has not appeared to lose faith in the ban’s potential, and hasn’t backed down.  

I think that the idea behind the ban is very good, and it could be quite helpful in helping maintain coral health, despite the looming threat of climate change. The politicians’ concerns are legitimate, as skin cancer, or any type of cancer, is a serious problem that shouldn’t be taken lightly. However… the two opposing sides almost make it look as though it’s a human vs. animal issue, which will introduce all sorts of other biases to the argument. It’s certainly a headache-inducing problem, but I still hold true to my original statement- the coral’s health is very important, and in this dilemma, should be prioritized. 

3 thoughts on “Republicans in Florida Want To Revoke Ban On Coral-Damaging Sunscreens

1. I agree with your statement, although protecting ourselves from skin cancer and other types of ailments is important, the health of these coral reefs should be the priority. There are other solutions for sun protection, while there is only way to maintain the health of the coral reefs, which is to protect them even though they are already under threat.

2. I agree with you here. I think that it is important that we should do the small things to help the environment. Such small things such as the removal of sunscreen with harmful chemicals can help save an entire ecosystem like reefs.

3. Hey everyone, thanks for checking our my review. Looks like we’re generally in agreement about prioritizing the health of corals- the problem, though, is that a significant number of politicians aren’t, which will certainly have an impact on policies in the future. Hopefully they’ll be inclined to act accordingly to climate change sometime soon.