Genetic modification helps reduce trans fat

Weintraub, Karen. “Crispr Gene-Editing Will Change the Way Americans Eat – Here’s What’s Coming.” The Guardian, Guardian News and Media, 30 May 2019, www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/may/30/crispr-gene-edited-food-technology-us-produce.

Recent searches are attempting to create a genetically modified soybean, yielding stable oil, completely deleting the unnecessary, extra trans fat. Lettuce is in the act to become more durable, withstanding dry, harsh conditions. Wheat edited to contain less gluten. And finally, pigs born immune to deadly viruses. Over the years, it has become very easy to alter genomes of animals and plants and the technology is planned to be subject to health meaning it will need to be reviewed many times before being publicated. Crispr technology, the technology allowing us to do this, is still premature and not a perfect process. Overall, this new technology is eye opening to many possibilities.

This technology seems to be simple and have no cons however, people are concerned that it has become scarily easy and too perfect. Along with this, the cost they can charge for genetically modified things could cause a  dilemma because if this technology is released to the public and it takes over the markets, farmers go out of business and the market overall is more expensive. It is a really big step because it could change the whole dynamic of food production. It could also produce new foods and crazy amounts of food that were never accessible before.

One thought on “Genetic modification helps reduce trans fat

1. I think this is very interesting and I agree with you that the food industry could be changed forever. I think it’s funny how skeptical people are just because it could have such a big impact in a short amount of time. I was wondering how the technology is able to work on both animals and plants?