Worldwide Effects of Climate Change

Holly Shaftel (2020, February 12). Global Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet. Retrieved February 14, 2020, from https://climate.nasa.gov/ 

Climate change is affecting people on a global scale and has already created noticeable effects on the environment that are predicted to only get worse. NASA predicts the most serious effects to occur from climate change will be loss of sea ice, sea level rise, and heat waves. Scientists have concluded that a vast majority of these effects are due to human actions and impacts, they can be stopped or even reversed if humans decide to make major life changes. A slightly positive effect of climate change is the the growing season is predicted to lengthen, although this does also come with other drawbacks. NASA predicts that the Arctic will probably become ice-free by 2050. Overall, climate change should be taken very seriously as it is gaining speed and predicted to have many life altering effects.

This article reveals that climate change is going to have major effects on all regions in the world, which is why I believe everyone should be holding themselves accountable for its impacts. After reading this, it is crazy to me that many people are still in climate denial, especially since its effects are becoming more and more obvious everyday, and reputable sources like this one from NASA are readily available. This makes me wonder why many places are still refusing to acknowledge climate change, for example President Trump pulling out of the Paris Agreement, since it is such a profound issue that will affect all life on Earth. In all, this source made it even more obvious to me that climate change action needs to happen now.

2 thoughts on “Worldwide Effects of Climate Change

1. It’s beyond comprehension that Trump pulled out us out of the Paris Climate Treaty. But leaders come and go and I think big business is actually starting to rally around climate action, and certainly the public wants it. (67% of Americans think we should be doing more- the tides are shifting). Interesting that they mention the slightly longer growing season as a positive. Can you think of any other potential wins that could come with a warming climate?

• Thank you for your comment! I am happy that the public is starting to want more and more climate action. Other positives that may come along with a warmer climate would be economic impacts on farmers because they may get longer growing seasons. Also, this is just a guess but maybe less illness since a lot of sickness comes with colder temperatures?