Can We Avoid the Effects of Climate Change?

Holly Shaftel (2020, February 12). Is it too late to prevent climate change? Retrieved February 14, 2020, from https://climate.nasa.gov/faq/16/is-it-too-late-to-prevent-climate-change/

Even if humans stop emitting greenhouse gases today, global warming will still continue for at least a few more decades because it takes time for the planet to respond to the changes and emissions will still be trapped in the atmosphere. Despite this, it might not be too late to avoid some of the worse effects of climate change. A good approach to this would be a two-fold response, by mitigating the amount of greenhouse gases humans emit, and learning how to adapt to climate change effects that are already being felt. These changes need to be carried out by both global, and local leaders so the results can be maximized. Global leaders have the power to create and enforce international policies and agreements between countries, while local leaders can control public transport methods and city planning according to sustainability. Altogether, climate change can be slowed, but it will require all hands on deck.

After reading this article, I first felt discouraged when learning that even if we completely stop emitting greenhouse gases, global warming will still occur. However, I began to feel more empowered when it started discussing ways that the worst climate change effects can be prevented or slowed. I think the article presents a good method to reduce climate change, mitigation and adaptation, however I do think that there are more things we can do. For example I think education is a big aspect of reducing climate change since so much of the world is still not well educated on what climate change is and why it’s bad and what we can do about it. Overall, I really enjoyed the article even though it presented a harsh truth about global warming that I was previously unaware of. 

2 thoughts on “Can We Avoid the Effects of Climate Change?

1. I agree with your claim about education being a big aspect of reducing climate change.
    Do you think this subject should be a course that is required to take in order to graduate or an option?

2. Thank you for your comment! I do think this subject should be required because it is very important that our young population is well educated on this topic since we are the future and must make well informed decisions.