Why Chinese companies are investing in American recycling

Recently, China’s  implemented policies prohibiting the import of recycled materials from the United States has had serious economic impacts that are being felt today. In response, Chinese companies are investing in paper companies in the U.S. so that they may still export recycled pulp and meet “China’s manufacturing output”. 

After watching the documentary in class about China’s waste problem, I am sympathetic to their countries attempt to limit waste. However, this article brings up a great problem with environmental regulation on businesses and the impact it can have on the economy, especially when it involves the potential of recycled material. I think this shows it is important for countries to work together, and it reminds me of the saying “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure”. Potentially, countries could recycle each other’s waste if there is a market for their recycled goods. There is so much trash in the world but very little we have learned to do with it, finding a market for that trash (that is possibly in another part of the world) could be promising for eliminating our waste.