Delivering a Solution to the World’s Ocean Plastic Problem

Chen, Z. (2020, February 27). Delivering a Solution to the World’s Ocean Plastic Problem. Retrieved November 14, 2020, from https://www.newsecuritybeat.org/2020/02/delivering-solution-worlds-ocean-plastic-problem/

The Green Volunteer League of Chongqing filed a lawsuit against China’s 3 largest food companies because of excessive waste in packaging and utensils(single use chopsticks). This lawsuit became famous online, and had people on Twitter, Instagram, and more talking about it. In the end, the 3 companies had to add a no utensil option in their delivery system, so as to not create unnecessary waste. China’s government has released many regulations and bans to try to reduce its plastic waste, beginning in 2008 with the first tax on plastic bags in stores. Over 127 countries have now had some sort of regulation on plastic bags. In Hainan, China, they are tackling plastic aggressively, banning all single use plastics with the end of 2020. Other solutions have included a company that uses ceramic dishes and utensils for food delivery. But, China still leads with 28% of all plastic waste emerging from them.

The plastic used in food companies and passed on to consumers is a good example of how much more plastic waste is produced than we like to believe. One of the sued companies was using 6700 trees everyday for their single use chopsticks. It is frustrating to see so much damage, but also uplifting to hear how others are fighting back, with the lawsuit that provoked awareness, and in legislation. The fact that so many countries have regulated plastic bags is great, but more still needs to be done, considering it is still a regular thing to see plastic bags in the sewer, beach, and more. I liked reading about China’s providence of Hainan’s approach, and how they have really taken their pollution and harm in the environment to heart and are actively prioritizing it and changing it for the better. I think they can serve as a great example for others. It is hard to take into account that while China has so many improvements, they are still producing such massive amounts of emissions, waste, and pollution into the environment, with the majority percentage in the world. 

2 thoughts on “Delivering a Solution to the World’s Ocean Plastic Problem

1. I am very shocked to hear that so many trees are used per day for the single-use chopsticks. I didn’t realize the environmental impact the chopsticks had. I feel like I am seeing an increase in reusable chopsticks though.