Don’t let the coronavirus destroy public transit too

“CA: Editorial: Don’t let the coronavirus destroy public transit too.” CA: Editorial: Don’t let the coronavirus destroy public transit too, The Times Editorial Board, 16 August 2020, https://www.masstransitmag.com/management/news/21150372/ca-editorial-dont-let-the-coronavirus-destroy-public-transit-too.

During the pandemic, the ridership of public transportation has been cut down to half, however, it carried 550,000 people a day in LA. Transits have lost a ton of money due to the pandemic, as they have lost customers, paying for cleaning supplies, and decreasing the number of riders per trip to ensure social distancing. “Metro CEO Phil Washington estimates his agency will lose $1.8 billion by next July because of the declines in sales tax, fare revenue, and advertising income.” Not only that, but essential workers who take the bus/train have to pay to get a ride, in which they don’t have much money due to covid as well. Ridership has dropped 90% during the pandemic. This not only is a disadvantage to transportation losing money but people who rely on public transportation to get places. 

This article sheds light on how important public transportation is not only to the environment but to essential workers, disabled people who are unable to drive, and students. The decrease in public transportation, this leads more people to take their own cars or other gas-powered vehicles. This affects the environment because public transportation is key to creating a more eco-friendly environment, as public transportation reduced the amount of cars on the road, overall reducing the number of greenhouse gases and carbon dioxide. However, now with this decrease in riders, budget, and space, it is making it harder for busses/trains to stay in business during this tough time, overall affecting the environment when it comes to how people are beginning to travel and the increase of cars with a single person in it on the road. 

4 thoughts on “Don’t let the coronavirus destroy public transit too

1. This article is very important to both society and our environment. During this time we are often focusing on ourselves, but we need to take a minute to focus on others and how this pandemic is affecting factors we don’t think about every day. I understand the risk of spreading COVID throguh transportation, but we need to offer support to that dependant on public transportation, as well as the workers behind the wheel. Also, we need to think about the negative effects on our environment, due to the increase in drivers. While I am not saying put yourself at risk and go on a bus, but find ways to get around without a car. For example, biking, walking or even carpooling. For a support system, maybe offering donations and or services to the workers who need it. My question is, what are other ideas we can work on to reduce our environmental impact and give back to our community?

• Thank you for reading my article, Chloe! I think what we can work on to reduce our environmental impact and give back to our community is finding safe and effective ways to travel. Like you said, biking and walking is a perfect alternative to travel somewhere (if close) which will help reduce all the negative effects of a car.

2. Wow, this is something I wasn’t aware of! It’s very interesting to see how the pandemic has directly impacted the public transit system and, in turn, indirectly impacted pollutants in the air. What do you think we can do to support the public transit? Is further legislation necessary for the benefit of the system and also the environment’s health?

• Thank you for reading my article and for giving me feedback! I think to support public transit is hard, people aren’t going places as much, as well as not wanting to be around other people. However, I think they should get more government funding so they are able to stay in businesses while being safe.