napa fires article analysis

Becker, R. (2020, November 02). 11 California Assembly races to watch in 2020. Retrieved November 18, 2020, from https://calmatters.org/environment/2020/10/california-wildfires-unsafe-drinking-water/c

The month long siege of fires in napa did a number on local communities and residents, causing damage far more permanent that destroyed houses. Benzene a common chemical product of forest fires, and burning fossil fuels seeped into pipes rendering them useless. A resident Kody petrinine was advised to not use or even boil any tap water, as it could have disastrous health effects. This caused him to take extraordinary precautions such as bathing his infant child in bottled water. Which continued for a prolonged amount of time, keeping petrini and his neighbors in a month long limbo of no water. At the end of september benzene levels were below detectable, but the amount of precursors for a forest fire are getting to large. Climate change has doubled the amount of hot and dry conditions to create a forest fire, along with california’s notoriety for a lack of water is even worse to the mix. Another threat is the increased amount of houses nearby nature in the past two decades, making destruction to land even more likely. Which brings up the topic of runoff from rains occurring after wildfire season, that could be more catastrophic depending on future prep. Additionally, problems with water pressure and hydrant functionality caused even more outrage to the napa residents. Again, bringing up thoughts and concerns towards water distribution methods and wether the city’s development needs to take a turn. As the efficiency of these systems is crucial to fire prone communities such as napa.

I found this article to be quite grim, but it gave me a deeper perspective on the detrimental problems california has with its water. For such a rich state, with living prices too high to afford, and some of the best education the world can offer we have a lack in the affection needed to take care of our most valuable natural resource. Before reading this text it felt a given to me that things such as hydrant use, and water filtration to be a actively functioning part of californias permanent installations. It has dawned upon me that we are in need of better conduct of how we make future decisions pertaining water. How we use, clean, and apply it to the different sectors of world operation. As we have a paucity in the attention to a important part of human life, and productivity. This articles relation to environmental science because of its focus on wildfires, a cultivator for heathy ecosystems, biodiversity, seed germination, and reduction of organic buildup. All aspects of the environment that have consequences to their skewed interactions, such as contaminated water from ashy runoff. Which shows the need for environmental research to prevent these concerns.

One thought on “napa fires article analysis

1. I agree Alex, this is not the most uplifting news. I was unaware of benzene contamination of drinking water. One more externalized cost of climate change??? I did however find your reaction paragraph to be totally informed and on point. My question to you is there a way to direct policy, or technological innovation to handle this specific problem of benzene, knowing more forest fires are likely… or is this just a hard to control consequence of increased fire frequency?