Ecotourism fans may be in it for the social posts.

The University of Georgia. “Ecotourism fans may be in it for the social posts.” ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 12 November 2020. <www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/11/201112145437.htm>.

The article talks about how social media posts for ecotourism may be a more important factor for people choosing ecotourism than the actual sustainability of nature. According to the article, people get a sense of elevated status in the buying of certain luxury items and doing certain events which can be a motivating factor in purchases and decisions and it might be that same type of decision to want to do ecotourism. In sum, social media is changing the way we view travel as a society.

I think that if there is an increase in exposure to social media to certain parts of nature that there will be more people that go to certain places which can be positive and negative. In regards to covid and overcrowding, it can be a negative thing because too many people can actually be harmful and some places may not be able to handle that much of an increase of people. I do not think that the motives for people wanting to do ecotourism really matter as long as there is an effort for ecotourism because then there will be a benefit from it. Ecotourism can be really beneficial for the environment if done right.

2 thoughts on “Ecotourism fans may be in it for the social posts.

1. I enjoyed how you addressed both the positive and negative impacts of social media on ecotourism. I also believe that an increase in ecotourism can have valuable economic benefits especially for countries’ whose economy is struggling as a result of the pandemic.