Farming as the Climate Changes: Straus Family Creamery, Marshall, California

info@sustainablefoodtrust.org, Sustainable Food Trust -. “Farming as the Climate Changes: Straus Family Creamery, Marshall, California.” Sustainable Food Trust, 3 Dec. 2020,sustainablefoodtrust.org/articles/farming-as-the-climate-changes-straus-family-creamery-marshall-california/

In an article by Sustainable Food Trust, the writer talks about how the challenge of climate change is affecting farmers, but the Straus Family Creamery in Marshall, California has found a new way to mitigate the carbon emissions from their farm. The article interviews the CEO and founder of Straus Family Farms, Albert Straus who has been running the dairy farm for about a year since November twenty-seventh. They also have been awarded the TRUE Zero waste emissions award by diverting 1 million in waste, powered by 100% zero carbon and with bottled reusable bottles for their product. With all these accomplishments they claim to be carbon neutral by 2022.

I think this article shows a lot of accomplishments from a farm that is able to make money from the product, but not have access waste. In the article they mentioned they wanted to be an example for other farms in the future and to have a smaller footprint while still making a profit. I think that the methods they have been using are a very good way to preserve the farming economy and still feed people without having excess or lost yields of produce. The main reason I think that Straus Farms is able to accomplish these things is because they are able to find ways to cancel out their waste instead of always preserving it. This model of farming could be used around the US but most government money goes to researchers instead of actual farms to make this change, and with the right money I think we could change the way farmers cultivate their land and benefit California’s agriculture. 

2 thoughts on “Farming as the Climate Changes: Straus Family Creamery, Marshall, California

1. I really enjoy the fact that there really are people out there, like the Straus family, putting in the work necessary to make their farms carbon neutral. I also didn’t know that there was an award for zero emissions, maybe that can be used as an incentive for other farmers out there looking to make the switch to carbon neutrality. What other ways did the Straus family cut back on emissions/waste, other than using recycled bottles?

2. I really enjoyed reading this article and your opinion on it. Like you, I think that it is awesome that this article sheds light on accomplishments like this. Not only that, but it is a great way to influence other farms as well. My question is: What else could they do to reduce the amount of waste they produce?