For Some California Farmers, a Virus-Driven Drop in Emissions Could Set Back Their Climate Efforts

Pollack, Nicole. “For Some California Farmers, a Virus-Driven Drop in Emissions Could Set Back Their Climate Efforts.” Inside Climate News, 7 Dec. 2020, insideclimatenews.org/news/26062020/california-farmers-coronavirus-emissions-climate-change/

In Nicole Pollacks article, “For Some California Farmers, a Virus-Driven Drop in Emissions Could Set Back Their Climate Efforts.” Published by Insider Climate news. In the article she explains how California’s “cap and trade” program will have a lack of funding do to lack of carbon emission taxes from the recent covid pandemic. The reason how this relates to agriculture is the funding to go to these research programs only heightens the risk of future climate change that is then directly impacting the produce and health of agriculture in California. This lack of money could also endanger the farmers’ subsidization forcing them to go back to perennial or traditional farming practices.

I think that the lack of money to go to the researchers is a detriment to the overall effort of reducing California’s agricultural carbon footprint, but I think that they are not giving enough money to the people that they directly affect. The lack of petroleum use during the pandemic has hindered the research programs from making any further progress while the farmers continue to provide for themselves and others with little help from the government, the people by their food from this farmers but they get little in return for how much work they put into their product which in turn creates more carbon emissions while the money goes to researchers. I think the way the money would make the most change is if it was given to farmers to free up and subsidize their land to the government so there is less room for carbon emissions while they are still receiving money to take care of themselves. In all, I think that putting that much money into research instead of giving it directly to the source is detrimental to California’s climate change efforts.

2 thoughts on “For Some California Farmers, a Virus-Driven Drop in Emissions Could Set Back Their Climate Efforts

1. I don’t know a lot about this topic, but from what you wrote, your reasoning makes sense to me! What an interesting article!

2. I had not considered how lower emissions would result in lower funding, so this seems like an interesting article. Where do you think a good balance is for funding research vs. funding farmers?