E-Waste management is not keeping pace with consumer electronics

Conversation, T. (2021, January 11). E-Waste management is not keeping pace

with consumer electronics. Retrieved February 20, 2021, from

https://www.ecowatch.com/ewaste-consumer-electronics-2649872499.html?rebelltitem=10#rebelltitem10

As technology is increasing and taking up a larger role in our lives, it is creating larger amounts of electronic waste as a byproduct. Even though we might be implementing better practices that limit our electronic waste, we are still producing large amounts of it. This is due in part to quick and short lived technology that is designed to be replaced after a fixed shelf life. In addition, technologies are changing so rapidly that we are disposing of old technologies.

Even in my own life, I have seen an increasing dependence on technology. I have purchased more electronic devices in the last few years than ever before. Because it is trendy to buy the latest products, it is having detrimental effects on global health. Since these technologies are so accessible, several individuals are contributing to this effect. We are not able to manage the increasing electronic waste as a result. We need to look into software as opposed to hardware updates.

2 thoughts on “E-Waste management is not keeping pace with consumer electronics

1. You can just imagine how difficult it is to dissect a cell phone and take out all the parts to recycle it. Not only is this an env. issue, it’s a social justice issue… as we ship all our e-waste to the Philipines and Malaysia for other people to deal with. Neeraj- can you imagine a business opportunity here? Or a solution? We can only imagine more and more people are going to be producing this type of waste. Would be a great place for some creative solutions.

Thanks for consistently delivering well written abstracts and thoughtful commentaries this year.

2. As a person trying to become more minimalistic in the amount of waste I produce, technology is not the first thing that comes to mind. But I see where you’re coming from, as our newer generations definitely consume many more technological products, therefore, throw away more. What are some strategies you can think of that could help educate the public on better improving their technology-based waste levels?