The costs and environmental impact of transport in 2021

Gee, O. (2021, March 5). The costs and environmental impact of transport in 2021 Mozo. https://mozo.com.au/insurance/car-insurance/articles/the-costs-and-environmental-impact

-of-transport-in-2021. 

This article explores the effect the pandemic had on transportation and Greenhouse Gas emissions. It then goes into a fiscal analysis on the numerous ways to mitigate pollutants. First it focuses on driving – looking at the pros and cons of electric , diesel , and petroleum vehicles. It marks that EV’s are generally the most environmentally friendly, but also states that diesel is better than petroleum for the environment if not unless it’s primarily used for short trips especially in urban areas. Then the article describes some ways to improve public transport citing new light rails and trams which run on electricity and are powered by solar energy plants in Melbourne. It asserts that “making public transport more sustainable and accessible needs to be a priority moving forward,” highlighting the importance of public transport. Finally it describes alternative modes of travel such as biking and walking, both of which include numerous monetary, health, and environmental benefits

The article’s emphasis on sustainability and the general premise of weighing options based on scientific fact in order to determine the most sustainable methods, associates it with environmental science. I thought the article did a very good job of weighing the pros and cons of each method and offering a concise verdict. Furthermore, their fiscal analysis illuminated the balance needed between sustainability and overall efficiency when determining policy.

3 thoughts on “The costs and environmental impact of transport in 2021

1. I like your insights in the article and how we can reduce the effect of transportation on the environment. You mentioned that the article focuses on the pros and cons of vehicles and my question is do the cons outweigh the pros of driving?

2. I think the comparison that this article seemed to make between sustainability and efficiency is interesting as I feel like the line between those two motives is often blurred. I also never knew diesel vehicles were considered more efficient that petroleum ones. Im interested to know what you think the future of transportation might look like in 20 or 30 years?

3. Hi Jenel and Quinn. Thank you very much for reading and commenting on my articles. Jenel on your question I believe driving is necessary for today’s society to function; however I believe it can be done in a more sustainable manner. Quinn, I believe in 20-30 years we will see a complete shift to electric vehicles as many car companies have already promised to only produce electric vehicles beyond the year 2030