Transportation innovations could boost public health

David Nutt (2021, July 12). Transportation innovations could boost public health. Retrieved August, 8, 2021, from https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2021/07/transportation-innovations-could-boost-public-health

This article summarizes a study by Cornell students called “Shared Use of Electric Autonomous Vehicles: Air Quality and Health Impacts of Future Mobility in the United States,” and illuminates the main points. They built an integrated assessment system that included a technical-economic mobility model, a chemical transport model, and a health impact assessment tool. They projected vehicle stocks; distance traveled, energy usage, and carbon dioxide emissions in the continental U.S. through 2050. Finally, they quantified the impacts of changing emissions on concentrations of particulate matter in the atmosphere, as well as the ensuing health and economic benefits of populations in 10 major metropolitan areas. The results were auspicious and showed that by 2050, the innovations tested in the study could potentially “slash petroleum consumption by 50% and carbon dioxide emissions by 75% while simultaneously preventing 5,500 premature deaths, with an annual savings of $58 billion.”

The article is directly related to environmental science because the researchers discovered ways to utilize E.S to find solutions to the increasing amount of carbon in the atmosphere. The report claims that Environmental science was one of the core understandings in their transdisciplinary approach. I think the article did an excellent job introducing a detailed and specialized academic study in an understandable manner. Furthermore, the study’s transdisciplinary approach allowed them to encompass many factors leading to better, encouraging results. 

4 thoughts on “Transportation innovations could boost public health

1. I agree with your comments on the article and I think that the world needs to do a better job with transportation innovations. It is imperative that we find a solution to all the carbon being emitted into the atmosphere. I ultimately think that your comment about transdisciplinary approach is important because it could help a lot of transportation systems improve.

2. I agree with your statement the researches found solutions regarding environmental science to the increasing amount of carbon. What might be another way limiting the increasing carbon?

3. I was wondering a similar thing is there anyway we could turn this carbon into a fuel for us. Something that could become clean as a solution?

4. Thank you all very much for reading and commenting on my articles. Beei, there are many ways of both mitigating the amount of carbon added to the atmosphere and also reducing the amount through methods such as carbon sequestration.