Germany softens resistance to stricter car CO2 targets

Chris Bowers (2021, June 28). Germany Softens Resistance to Stricter Car CO2 Targets. Retrieved 2021, August, 8, from www.transportenvironment.org/news/germany-softens-resistance-stricter-car-co2-targets.

This article focuses on Germany’s new regulations on CO2 emissions from cars. The regulation marks a change in tone and policy from the German government, which historically has been soft on car regulations to protect the industry. The article also argues there is an economic benefit for the industry if they switch to electric vehicles. The story mentions a report by Transport and Environment on Europe’s car production data that suggests gains from German EV production will outweigh the decline in diesel and petrol as Germany becomes a hub for batteries and EV production. They calculate that 37% of all EVs in Europe will be produced in Germany by 2030. 

This article focuses on ways to reduce Greenhouse gas emissions and mitigate the effects of global warming. The article is clearly related to environmental science by exploring the multitude of facets that contribute to climate change and offering direct solutions in the form of regulations. I enjoyed reading this article because it focused on German public policy and its ramifications in Europe, completely different from what I was reading prior. Furthermore, the fact that the government is willing to completely shift stances on an issue with this large economic impact to mitigate climate change is incredible progress.

4 thoughts on “Germany softens resistance to stricter car CO2 targets

1. I really enjoyed reading your insight. I agree that the fact that there is a government that is “willing to completely shift stances on an issue” is really inspiring for other countries to get behind.

2. I think that this is a very uplifting article. It shows that some countries are really taking great steps to help our environment and I think in this case Germany is setting a great example and many countries will follow in their footsteps. Do you think at some point they will shift to 100% electric vehicles or what would hold them back from doing so?

3. I think that it is very important, as hopefully other countries will begin to follow in Germany’s footsteps. Additionally, I believe that the only way we are going to be able to preserve our environment is if countries all come together to work on ways to reduce emissions. Do you think it is important for governments to sacrifice economic gains to focus on the environment?

4. Hi Dylan, Carolyn and Ryan. Thank you very much for reading and commenting on my articles. Carolyn on your question I believe Geremny will see a complete shift to electric vehicles as its largest and most well known car manufacturer, Mercedes, has already promised to only produce electric vehicles beyond the year 2030. Dylan, I think it is very important to weigh both economic and environmental benefits when making policy decisions, and yes, I think there are definitely circumstances where governments should be willing to sacrifice economic gain to support the environment.