Europe’s Possible Solutions to Managing Water Stress

Water resources across Europe — confronting water stress: an updated assessment — European Environment Agency. (n.d.). Www.eea.europa.eu. https://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/water-resources-across-europe-confronting

Europe’s government has been deciding on possible solutions in order to manage the impacts of the water stress in the continent. Along with climate change, comes the concern of water scarcity which goes hand in hand with the increasing human population. On page 106 of the document, there are four main solutions presented, being continuing improving technology to have enough water per person, working with other economic sectors, restricting the use of supply in coastal areas with tourism, and lastly addressing the root being overexploitation of the natural resource.

This article expanded on the possible solutions the government can then implement policies and laws on in order to enforce or continue to enforce in order to ensure that the natural resource, water, lasts long enough and for as many people as possible in the future. I am most interested in the last solution being addressing the overexploitation of the resource because I think not only is it super broad, but that is the cause for all of these measures needing to be taken. In order to stop this damage from being done, the government would need to take action extremely quickly in order to stop or lessen the stress surrounding the water in Europe. I think that the rights people hold to have access to the water they want and need will be evaluated at some point considering how much the document talks about wanting to ensure each person and household has the capacity to have enough water for everyone in Europe to stay healthy.

3 thoughts on “Europe’s Possible Solutions to Managing Water Stress

1. I didn’t know that Europe was trying to find possible solutions for managing their water. Im very glad to hear it. I also agree that addressing the overexploitation of the resource is very interesting, but i’m curious about restricting the use of supply in coastal areas with tourism. How would this work?

2. I think that the US should look into things like this because we waste so much water on lawns and other simple things like showers. Also how do they measure what the correct amount of water is per household?

3. This topic is really interesting to me because I feel like a lot of people know about water consumption issues but just don’t do anything to change it. Is there anything you personally do to decrease your water consumption footprint?