‘Major’ oil spill off California coast threatens wetlands and Wildlife.

Vigdor, N., & Delkic, M. (2021, October 3). ‘major’ oil spill off California coast threatens wetlands and Wildlife. The New York Times. Retrieved February 7, 2022, from https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/03/us/pipeline-broken-oil-pacific-ocean.html?smid=tw-share 

This article describes a pipeline failure in October that caused a 13-mile oil spill off the coast of Orange County. In a few places, dead fish and birds washed ashore. Parts of Huntington beach were closed, and the third day of the Pacific Airshow was canceled. The Coast Guard led the efforts to mitigate the impacts of the oil on wildlife and ecosystems. The article then describes the spill’s effects (beaches closed, people should stay out of the water, damage dozens of bird species). The event marks the need for California to move away from fossil fuels and oil to prevent similar future disasters.

It is unfortunate that environmental disasters occur, such as oil spills, but at the same time, it is heartening to see humans work together to solve the problem. Especially with anthropogenic catastrophes, I think humans are responsible for protecting the nature we live in. Not just for our sake, but the good of wildlife. This is a good reminder of the dangers of using fossil fuels. California should move towards greener energy sources to protect thousands of animals from being hurt or killed. This article describes an environmental catastrophe, an essential part of environmental science we need to address. 

2 thoughts on “‘Major’ oil spill off California coast threatens wetlands and Wildlife.

1. I agree with your point that fossil fuels pose danger to us not only through climate change but through disasters like this oil spill. My question to you would be how do we hold companies who run these operations responsible?

2. I agree that fossil fuels can pose other dangers to us and the environment than just climate change. I wonder if disasters such as these convince more people of the negatives of fossil fuels since their effects are often more obvious and immediate. Do you think the immediacy of these situations causes people to work together more than we have done on climate change, or do you think it’s because of another reason?