Economic Costs of Algae Blooms

National Centers for Coastal Ocean Services. (2022, March 15). Economic Impacts of 2018 Florida Red Tide: Airbnb Losses and Beyond. nccos. Retrieved August 28, 2022, from https://coastalscience.noaa.gov/news/economic-impacts-of-2018-florida-red-tide-airbnb-losses-and-beyond/

This article discusses the economic impacts of red tide on Airbnb in Florida. According to this article, for every sample of water that had red tide in it, the daily rate for Airbnb reduced by $0.45 and reservation days declined by 345. This resulted in a loss of $70 million for Airbnb and that led to a decline of $184 million in tourism expenditures from outside of the state. This article states that over 2,800 jobs were lost and 50% of the total economic losses for the affected areas came from industries that are not directly associated with tourists, these include health services and real estate.

This article shocked me quite a bit. I realize that there were economic effects on Florida, but I never understood how much the red tide affected the state. The article says that 85% of the state’s losses came from the Southwestern Gulf region alone, and 15% of those losses were from spillover effects that happened throughout the whole state.

2 thoughts on “Economic Costs of Algae Blooms

1. The information that you shared shocked me as well. Explaining how much the red tide affected the state, and if you think of it Florida and texas, are states, that heavily experience shocking natural disasters involving water and riptides.

2. I agree with your article, it is crazy to think that every sample had red tide in it and how Airbnb was affected by it. How can we prevent algae blooms from happening in the first place.