Andrew Holman

US Census Bureau. (2022, December 27). Growth in U.S. Population Shows Early Indication of Recovery Amid COVID-19 Pandemic. Census.gov. https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2022/2022-population-estimates.html

This article talks about how the country increased its population by 0.4% in 2022. The article also brings up regional patterns like how The South is the most populous region and was also the fastest growing region in 2022. The South experienced this growth mainly due to both domestic and international migration. The only other region to experience population growth in 2022 was The West. The Northeast and Midwest both experienced a subtle loss in population in 2022. The article then talks about how Texas was the largest growing state in terms of population.

This article is mainly talking about the discrepancies of population growth between different regions of the United States. I find it interesting that some regions gained population, while others experienced the opposite. However, considering that, I am not surprised that The South experienced the most growth, and Texas experienced the most population growth as an individual state. I wonder if this has anything to do with the vast majority of the  border between the United States and Mexico being Texas. My guess would be that most immigrants migrate to Texas when they enter the United States, and the farther out you go, the less of a chance the immigrants are to move there.

2 thoughts on “Andrew Holman

1. I agree that is is odd that some regions gained population while others lost it. I think this is probably a good thing though, because overall our population is skyrocketing so much, we won’t have enough resources to sustain everyone. Why did the Northeast and Midwest loose population though? Did it have to do with the stigma of not wanting kids?

• I am not sure whether it has to do with the stigma of not wanting kids. More people were simply moving out, as well as there being a greater number of deaths than births. Thank you for your comment!