Andrew Holman

Wolf, Z. B. (2023, January 19). Why it’s so important for the US to avoid a shrinking population. CNN. https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/19/politics/china-population-us-what-matters/index.html

This article talks about the history of the United States population. The population of the United States is recored every 10 years in the census. The first official census was in 1790 and it recorded nearly 4 million people residing in the United States. The most recent census shows the countries population at over 330 million people. From 1800 to 1810 the population experienced a growth rate of 36.4%, which is the highest growth rate in United States history. Since then the population has still been growing, but at a gradually decreasing rate of growth.

I think it is crazy to see the growth rate from one particular decade being over 36%. Since our country was still a new nation then, and the idea for opportunity and westward expansion was forming I am not surprised that we haven’t seem change like that since. I wonder if the growth rate will continue to decline year after year. I believe that it will for a little bit, and unless there are extreme changes to immigration regulations, then the growth rate will start to flatten out as we reach a potential carrying capacity. At that point, unless there are major events like pandemics, wars, or serious change in litigation, I think that the country will be much more stable in terms of population growth.

3 thoughts on “Andrew Holman

1. This article also relates to environmental science because the population of the United States of America affects how much impact it has on the natural world and local ecosystems. What potential effects could this decreasing growth rate have in the United States?

2. Good question, I think that a decrease in growth rate of the population would be beneficial for the environment because there would be less urbanization and housing needed, which would then protect more natural habitats. Thank you for your comment!

3. Those numbers are insane to think about. That much increase seems almost unreal. Do you think there are enough resources on this Earth to provide for a much bigger population in the up and coming years?