Moving Forward with Collaboration: Climate Change

Ellerbeck, S. (2023, January 30). Counting the Cost of Natural Disasters – and Other Climate Crisis Stories You Need to Read This Week. weforum.org, World Economic Forum. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2023/01/climate-crisis-environment-biggest-news-30-january/. 

Climate change has continued to impact the world, causing extreme weather patterns, natural disasters, and rising sea levels. Despite these challenges, there has been some positive news on the environmental front in recent months, with the European Union announcing its goal to become carbon-neutral by 2050 and countries such as China and the United States committing to reducing their carbon emissions. However, the World Economic Forum states that much more needs to be done to address the climate crisis. The transition to a low-carbon economy will require significant investment and collaboration between various stakeholders. The World Economic Forum believes that taking decisive action now will not only help mitigate the effects of climate change but also create new economic opportunities and help secure a more sustainable future for all.

I agree with the article that the transition must be done in a way that is just and equitable, ensuring that the benefits are shared by all, and not just by a select few. I think that governments, businesses, and individuals must also be the ones to take action in order to reduce carbon emissions and transition to renewable energy sources. Overall, I believe that this is a great article to begin the 2023 year as many countries commit themselves to long-term goals to prevent further carbon emissions. Especially seeing the example in India, which is shifting its car market to electronic vehicles, has been very exciting. It comes to show that a little devotion to one action may be able to positively influence other countries for the better.

4 thoughts on “Moving Forward with Collaboration: Climate Change

1. I agree that making new commitments and attempts to shift from harmful non renewables to renewables is definitely the right path, but I do think there is a big issues at play. There is no legal requirement or repercussion if a country was to not hit their goal, and therefore their incentive is solely moral, and that is a major flaw in the plan.

• I completely agree that if we want to guarantee a positive impact, we will need to hold countries more accountable for not completing accomplishing their goals.

2. I agree that governments, businesses, and individuals have to make many adjustments in order to become carbon neutral, it’s not just the government’s responsibility. I wonder if the European Union will be able to achieve that goal though. a lot of times countries say they will do something but they never end up doing it.

• I also wonder whether the European Union will achieve their goal. I believe that they will need intense societal pressure to ensure some consequence if they do not make an impact.