California Announces Funding to Protect Salmon Habitat

Antunes, J. (2023, May 30). California announces funding to protect Salmon Habitat. National Fisherman. https://www.nationalfisherman.com/california-announces-funding-to-protect-salmon-habitat

In 2023, the California Department of Fish and Wildlife and Wildlife Conservation Board pledged a total of $139 million to over 53 projects across California concerned with restoring salmon habitats and wetlands. These include projects like the Red Bank Habitat Project, which seeks to revegetate the banks of Red River, reintroduce biodiversity to the river side channels, create high flow backwaters and alcoves, and ultimately restore the populations of the spring Chinook and Coho salmon. Other habitat restoration projects that received funding include the First Slough Fish Passage, Floodplain Restoration, Bull Creek Hamilton Floodplain Restoration Project, and Coastal Habitat Connectivity. 

This article is related to environmental science because it discusses the threats to California’s natural environment and how many initiatives are adopting a scientific approach to restoring these endangered habitats. I thought that this article was really uplifting, and it made me proud to be living in California. It’s so nice to hear some positive news about our nature in California and I’m really happy that there are so many people trying to protect it. I was also thoroughly surprised with how much money was being poured into these restoration projects. It makes me wonder what the process for getting grants for these projects is like. Is there a really intense vetting process? Can anybody apply? It also made me wonder if there were any projects near Menlo Atherton that were supported by the grants detailed above- it would be really cool to help work hands-on at one of these projects. 

2 thoughts on “California Announces Funding to Protect Salmon Habitat

1. I agree that this is a huge threat to California’s environment. I think fish are a really big part of the natural environment here in California. It is really nice to hear this good news of the progression in steps to better our environment. Is the $139 million in total given out to the organizations, or is it $139 million for each organization?

2. Hey, thanks so much for commenting on my post! I agree, I think this is a great step forward. I’m really glad that the state is sponsoring these initiatives, and I think in the long run we’ll all benefit from their decisions. The $139 million in grants and awards was split between the 53 organisations.