US biofuel policy must recognize land use tradeoffs

The Hill.  (2023, April 21). US biofuel policy must recognize land use tradeoffs. https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/3962812-us-biofuel-policy-must-recognize-land-use-tradeoffs/

Fifteen years ago, biofuels were set up to be the dominant renewable energy source of the future, but today, they are rarely utilized. Corn ethanol and other biofuels were hopeful but failed to become widespread. Instead, solar power and other electricity-driven power have dramatically dropped in cost and have become the preferred method for renewable energy by most sectors. The amount of land used in order to grow biofuel becomes very lacking in efficiency. 

The overall efficiency of biofuel is questionable, but given the lack of positive results could continue to drive down in popularity until a potential breakthrough occurs. If federal support for biofuel continues, it could be a viable option. EVs and solar power have been heavily encouraged federally and are the reason for their explosion in popularity. A similar support in research could yield positive results.  Water usage is also important to note, innovations would have to be implemented to avoid water waste due to agriculture’s already resource-intensive nature. 

2 thoughts on “US biofuel policy must recognize land use tradeoffs

1. I really like how you provided ways people have already started helping with solar power and electric vehicles. I also totally agree that this is related to environmental science. Are there innovations that are being made right now to help decrease water waste and do you think that they will work?

2. I enjoyed how you implemented ways that people are using solar power and electric vehicles. And I agree with your abstract. When talking about precious land and efficiency we are not efficient enough yet, how do we become more efficient?